Super Bowl Madness Podcast with Wonder

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The NFL Totem Pole at the Quarter Point: The Trying But No Talent Division


We take a look at where the 32 NFL teams stand at the quarter mark of the season. Find out which teams are set to make a move, which teams are due for a fall and which teams are just stuck in neutral.  

The Trying But No Talent Division

Seattle Seahawks- They aren't that untalented. Their biggest and main problem is the quarterback position and as we all know that is a big problem. Seattle does have some promising young players, particularly one of my favorites from the draft two years ago, Golden Tate. Earl Thomas is a beast as well, same for Kam Chancelor.

Washington Redskins- The more I see the more that I think time has passed Mike Shanahan by. He thinks he has John Elway and or Terrell Davis on his team and he doesn't. And their whole team identity is lost in the shuffle, its unclear what they are even trying to do. Yes they have a promising young back in Helu, a guy who I liked out of the draft. Same with Fred Davis a few years ago. They also got Ryan Kerrigan who was a guy I liked in this past year's draft. They are thin on the offensive line. They more than anybody desperately need a quarterback from this year's deep pool of passers. 

Carolina Panthers- I love Cam Newton. I think he is going to be a star for years. He has a great attitude, great temprament. People forget how big he is at 6'5'' 260 pounds. He is tough to take down and most surprisingly he is really accurate. The sad part is that Steve Smith is getting older because he and Newton have been tremendous together. I like some of their defenders, they just need some more depth and I don't quite understand why they have not been able to run the ball more effectively with Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams which should be one of the best 1-2 punches in the league. Maybe it's the line.

Arizona Cardinals- I kind of like some of them. I love Darryl Washington, who I think is playing at an all-pro level. I had him ranked way up there in the draft two years ago. Giants fans know how much I was recommending on ultimatenyg.com that the Giants take Washington and it is a decision they make regret for years to come. I think they overpaid for Kolb, not only with the money but also by giving up a developing all-pro cornerback who had begun to thrive in your system. 

Cleveland Browns- Their biggest problem is that Mike Holmgrem suffers from a "God-complex" and thinks that he can do anything. I like McCoy, but let's face it. He is just not strong-armed enough to play that close to Lake Erie as the winter approaches with the wind and the cold. He's a tough kid and can take a pounding but we will see what happens with him. 


Kansas City Chiefs- They're a little bit different than the others only because I feel that they have been a bit snake bit this year with injuries. Everyone knows how much I loved Eric Berry out of the draft, for them to lose him is an absolute disaster for that defense, who still hasn't played that bad. To lose Jamaal Charles, who let's face it, may never be the same again, is something different. Losing Cassell is pretty brutal too. They have plenty of talent. Hali has been better than I could have ever predicted for Kansas City. They lack a bit of depth. They lost Moeaki who I thought was a steal in last year's draft in the 4th round. He is one of the best all-around tight ends in the league.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment